Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Book Reading #38: Coming of Age in Samoa

Reference Information:
Title: Coming of Age in Samoa
Author: Margaret Mead
Editors: Williams Morrow and Company (1928)
Summary: In the thirteenth chapter of Coming of Age in Samoa, Mead compares Samoan children with American children. Mead found that Samoan children are more experienced in matters such as birth and death at an earlier age, and that their education can more directly relate to what their parents are doing because they're put to work so early. American children on the other hand, while being ignorant about life and death, express more strong feelings, or they have specialized feelings.
Discussion: In most of my discussion sections for this novel, I have compared the Samoan children to American children, so it was interesting to see Mead do this herself. I'm not sure if I completely agree with her assessment of schools however. I usually found what I was learning relevant, even if it didn't seem immediately applicable to the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment