Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Paper Reading #8: Exploring Mobile Technologies for the Urban Homeless

Comments: Ryan Kerbow, Wesley Konderla.
Reference Information:
Title: Exploring Mobile Technologies for the Urban Homeless
Author: Christopher A. Le Dantec
Venue: CHI 2010, April 10–15, 2010, Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Summary: In Le Dantec's short paper, he discussed his proposal for a study of technology's effect on the lives of homeless people in an urban setting. Technology today can offer a wide arrange of different advantages for affluent citizens, but homeless people are generally cut off from these benefits. The project specifically purposed giving cell phones to homeless people, with software specifically loaded on them to help find shelters, soup kitchens, and sources of medical aid. While the proposal focused primarily on cell phones, it also suggested a few other options of technology which could help the homeless' lives, such as bus passes.

Discussion: This article was interesting, and very short. It had a bit of data in the form of conversations held with various homeless people, but for the most part it was a proposal of what they wanted to do, instead of an actual HCI research project.

8 comments:

  1. This article was so much shorter than all of our others I hardly know what to write about it.

    While this sort of idea would have a positive impact, I feel like the infrastructure required for this would be huge and hard to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One other thing I've thought of. These phones are likely to be smart(ish) phones, correct? I mean if they are to provide some location-aware service it'd have to be a smartphone. I digress.

    WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY GONNA CHARGE THESE THINGS?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does not see to be a feasible option since someone has to pay for these devices that the homeless people use. The economic value of this technology needs to be investigated to determine if it would be feasible, which is doubtful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done a amazing job with you website nisartech.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your site is truly cool and this is an extraordinary moving article. glass pipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. Magic mirror hire South west

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well we really like to visit this site, many useful information we can get here. Sports Outdoor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. alloy wheel refurbishment near me

    ReplyDelete