Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book Reading #8: Design of Everyday Things

Reference Information:
Title: Design of Everyday Things
Author: Donald Norman
Publisher: Basic Books (2002)
Summary: In this section of The Design of Everyday Things, Normand discusses different aspects of information retrieval, and how people remember things. He talks about how physical objects can aid in one's memory, so certain things such as a keyboard's layout or a phone's keypad are hard to recall if the object is not in front of us, since that information is a purely procedural memory.

Discussion: This chapter was as interesting as the previous ones. I liked learning about the various aspects of memory. I was particularly surprised to hear that people can't remember the letters on a phone keypad however. Then again, once I gave it a try, I accidentally got some of the letter placement mixed up myself, so it makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment